Tuesday, October 7, 2008

SAWADEE

Hey folks, just came back from a two weeks Raya break (yes I needed it). Before that actually went to Bangkok, Thailand to attend a conference. Boy was it an experiential trip. Actually the accompanying lecturer (Dr Lee) said I was jinx hahaha...I think so too but sometimes God is very very funny. Here's what happened. I was about to board into Air Asia with my friend when suddenly the Air Asia check in counter girl (from now know as Ms Bi.....yes you know what I mean) didn't allow me to check in. She 'claimed' that my passport is expiring and unable to fly. I told her that the immigration office allowed me, and she said she needed proof. So she asked me to go to immigration office to ask again. Now the immigration office is like the other end of the airport. So I ran all the way to the immigration office to ask. Now the immigration office is like a no entry zone unless you have a boarding pass so the officer at the gate said sorry I can't go in because I don't have a boarding pass but asked me to ask Air Asia aka Ms Bi to come to let me in. Fine I said...so off again I ran back to the counter to ask nicely Ms Bi to follow me. You know what? She refused and called me stupid. I'm like WTF? Who are you to call me that? Air Asia if you are reading this, I must say that you have really really bad staff..............................................I begged and begged and she insist that she is right and denied me from going in. Not long after that I had to say goodbye to my friend who travelled alone to Bangkok. Haih it was such a bad time. I was tired and angry. Thank God got dear who calmed me down and took me for a nice dinner. I bought my ticket to Bangkok again for the next day but had to make sure I renewed my passport.
The next day I got Yew Kong to pick me to the immigration office to renew it. It just took 2 hours and then was able to fly that evening. But again God is indeed a great God. If Yew Kong didn't pick me, then we wouldn't have time to have a bonding session and also got to know each other better. Maybe it was God's way of saying hey you two, better start talking hahaha.......and talked we did. Hey yewks if you are reading, already consider you my bro man......

Okay back to Bangkok.........I finally made it pass through the check in counter and was ready to fly to Bangkok. Haha Kelly and Pei Ching decided to see me off and was glad to see some familiar faces before I left. When all things looked like it was going well, there was an annoucement, "Paging to all Air Asia passengers to Bangkok, your flight has been delayed"..........really -_- Oh well more time to waste at the airport. But got on safely also la....


My flight number!





Before entering immigration




My plane

After a tiring plane trip I arrived in Bangkok at 6.30 pm (7.30pm Malaysian time). Suvarnabumi Airport looks great. It's super cool looking and the people at the airport are so damn nice and friendly. Was asked for taxi from like baggage claims until the main entrance. Now I was trying hard to save my money so I decided to get to my destination the cheapest way. Nakorn Nayok (where the conference is) is about 1 1/2 hours away from Bangkok city and Dr Lee actually said it costs about 800 - 900 Baht to get there. At first there were some Limo Taxi which wanted to charge me 1800 Baht to pick me. Too expensive I said......before I said no again, the lady said 1300 Baht I still said no, something I'm about to regret. I went out from the airport and found a local taxi. The taxi stand said the fare is 1500 Baht. I thought okay la...take la. Haih I was stuck with a taxi driver who knows minute English and I didn't speak a single word of Thai except Sawadee karp. The journey from Bangkok to Nakorn Nayok was excruitating. There was a traffic jam on the highway (that's when I'm grateful for our roads), there was total silence all the way cause I couldn't speak to the driver and the roads are super super dark. No street lamps at all. Of course at that time I was hungry, dirty and thirsty. But with the adrenaline of wanting to be in the hotel quick kept all these in check. 2 hours later I was still not at the hotel. My driver got lost. That time was really scary. I kept smsing Dr Lee and asking him about how to get there. My taxi driver was really great though. He never gave up and continued to find the hotel and even insisted in driving me into the hotel (from the hotel front gate to the lobby is about 6km). I was so touched that I paid the guy 2000 Baht cause he is going back to the airport again. Sigh should have stuck to the 1300 Baht more pro taxi........oh well........I arrived at the hotel at about 9.30 plus and was super hungry but the canteens were all closed so I had to eat mee maggi only. Hmm....oh well it was a great experience and I thought my jinx was up.



My hotel room....for a 3 star hotel, the room is great

Tune in tomorrow for Sawadee part 2..............

2 comments:

TsuChong said...

Boss Aaron,

I am very very very sure that Tony Fernandes would like to hear about this. Drop him an email at tonyfernandes@airasia.com

He got reply one.

That person really spoilt AirAsia punya nama.

Aaron Chan Chee Kin said...

Thanks tsu chi,

will definitely bring this to AA....