Wednesday, March 23, 2011

KAMPUNG BOY: A MUSICAL

I grew up with reading Lat as a kid. My mum would actually encourage us to read his comics. I still have them at home. I use to laugh and marvel at his comics and how he view things in his life. Last week, I had the opportunity to see the story of his life. Kampung Boy the musical. I enjoyed it a lot (new resolution this year is to see stage plays and musicals). Here are some of my thoughts on it:

The okays
1) The sets were great. They used every part of Lat's comics to become the background. From Lat as a kid (black and white) till he grew up (coloured).
2) Music was super nice and catchy. I find myself, Choulyin and Tsu Chong swaying left and right.
3) Interchange of scenes were very interesting.
4) Daniel Shariff (the kid who plays Lat as a young boy) was extremely talented. He potrayed the goofy kid we read in the comics very well.
5) Omar Abdullah who plays Lat's boss Pak Samad was damn hilarious. Including the actor who played Lat's Father.

The so-so
1) Awie and Atilla were great as Lat and Faezah (Lat's wife), but somehow don' really feel the chemistry there. Maybe cause I've always seen Awie as a rocker type rather than a goofy, comic type.
2) Choreography was okay only. Too much dancing but the dancers were really good.
3) Storyline. A bit tad too long. It did try to cover the characters of Lat's life.

The not so okay
1) The audio. Half the time we were guessing what they were saying during the songs. Can only hear a bit (I think also we were sitting quite back also)


I would give it a 7/10. If you have the chance to go watch it go. It's playing till April 3. It's hilarious and funny. Do remember it's bilingual, so brush on your BM if not you might not understand the jokes.